Sunday 14 October 2012

Welcome to The Clockendichter!


Welcome to my first blog - The Clockendichter (more on this word below). 

As it's my first post I'll keep it short and to the point.

My name is Liam, I'm 26 and live in Aberdeen, Scotland, though I'm originally from Fraserburgh, just up the coast. I'm an opinionated individual with a particular interest in Politics, Music, Poetry, Sport and Religion. I hope to generate a fair bit of discussion and debate with my subsequent Blog Posts, and I guess that's the aim of the whole enterprise. 

The Clockendichter will not be a detailed account of what I had for breakfast. I don't want to bore you with insignificant facts about my personal life... cuz that's...well... personal, and boring. I may on occasion tell you more about myself in order to illustrate or clarify a point, but on the whole this will be a place for me to air my views and opine on the interests I have listed above and for you to respond in a suitable manner.

I  would greatly appreciate constructive criticism and am open to suggestions from readers about the kind of issues you would like to read and discuss. I have an opinion on pretty much anything so don't hold back from making a suggestion.

Just a quick note on the etymology of 'clockendichter' pronounced 'klock-en-dich-ter'. It's a word that I've sort of cobbled together and  like the sound of.

It sounds pretty much identical to the north-eastern Scottish phrase 'clochan dichter.' That's the drink before the 'one for the road.' 'Clocken' is slang for 'watching or surveying a scene.' That's what I mean to do with this Blog - survey a scene and comment on it. So it's a combination of a phrase I like the sound of and has meaning to me and a word that describes what I hope this blog will do.

I liked the word so much I even wrote a tune about it.

Below is a video of 'Clockendichter' in musical form:




Clockendichter in D Major


Stay tuned for more...

2 comments:

  1. My father-in-law was from Dumfries, and used to make a drink called a "Clockendichter". Have you any idea what it is. I'm sure he used to mix 3 brown spirits together, but I can't remember what they were?

    ReplyDelete